After undergoing cataract surgery, you may be experiencing some dryness and irritation as your eyes start to heal. If you would like to try a home remedy for the relief of your symptoms, use the following eye treatment for soothing your eyes.
What You Will Need
Before you make and use your eye treatment, gather the following supplies:
- Shallow saucer
- Small saucepan
- One-half cup of water
- One chamomile tea bag
- One teaspoon of aloe vera juice
- Two half-inch thick slices of cucumber
- Washcloth dampened with cold water
The chamomile and aloe vera juice in this eye treatment help to soothe the irritation by providing moisture to the eyelid. The cucumber slices retain both moisture and cold temperatures, not only moistening your dry eyes but also reducing any redness or swelling.
When you select your aloe vera juice, make sure you read the label carefully to avoid buying gel. The juice is a pure extract from the plant and its liquidity allows it to absorb more readily into the skin of your eyelid without causing irritation.
Once you have everything you need, follow the directions below.
- In the small saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the burner and place the chamomile tea into the water.
- Let the tea bag seep for half an hour so more of the tea is infused into the water.
- Remove the tea bags when the time is up and throw them away.
- Let the tea water cool to room temperature.
- Pour the water into the shallow saucer.
- Stir in the aloe vera juice.
- Place the cucumber slices side by side in the liquid. Their tops should be covered.
- Put the saucer in the refrigerate and chill for an hour.
- Once the eye treatment has chilled, lie back, and place one slice on each eye.
- Place the washcloth over your eyes. It serves as an insulator to keep the slices cold for the duration of the treatment. It also traps in the moisture.
- Leave the treatment on for 15 minutes.
- Remove the wash cloth and cucumber slices.
- Allow your eyes to air dry.
Using the above home treatment twice a day should soothe your dry, irritated eyes while they heal. However, be sure to contact the optometrist, one like California Eye Specialists Medical Group Inc., who performed your cataract surgery as soon as possible so they can examine and treat your eyes. Additionally, check with your optometrist before using any home remedies because eyes can be so sensitive.